IN-CLINIC SURGICAL ABORTION – FIRST 12 WEEKS OF PREGNANCY
In-clinic surgical abortion is the most effective form of abortion in the first trimester (up to 12 weeks of pregnancy). It is a safe, simple procedure performed by suction (vacuum aspiration) that takes about 2 to 5 minutes. You will be put to sleep by anesthesia (deep sedation) for that time.
After the pregnancy is removed, you will rest in the recovery room for about 1 hour and then be discharged home. You will need to have a friend, partner or relative accompany you. A first trimester surgical procedure is one of the safest outpatient medical procedures. Choices has performed them safely since 1971.
IN-CLINIC SURGICAL ABORTION – 13 T0 24 WEEKS OF PREGNANCY
Over 12 weeks of pregnancy, the abortion procedure is called “D&E” (dilation and evacuation), which refers to gentle opening of the cervix and emptying the uterus using suction and surgical instruments. This is a two-day procedure. On day one, a sterile product made specifically to dilate is placed into the cervix by your physician. This takes only a few minutes. You should plan on being at Choices for approximately 2 hours, which includes preparation time.
On day two the procedure is completed. This takes 10-15 minutes, and you will be put to sleep by anesthesia (deep sedation) for this time. You should plan on being at Choices for a total of several hours to include pre-operative preparation and recovery. You will need to have a friend, partner or relative accompany you home.
Which type of abortion is best for ME?
- Faster procedure. Most in-clinic abortion procedures take about 5-10 minutes, while medical abortions can take up to 48 hours to complete.
- Procedure is done at a licensed health center with professional nurses, doctors, and trained staff with you the entire time.
- Minimal pain and can be asleep during your abortion.
- Most effective form of first trimester abortion, almost 100% effective, extremely rare to require a repeat procedure.
- Must be done in-clinic and you will be at Choices for about 4-5 hours including registration, lab work, sonogram, counseling, the procedure, and recovery.
- You must have an escort with you if you plan to be asleep during your procedure.
- Have an abortion in the privacy of your home, or a place that is comfortable to you.
- Prefer to have the choice of being alone to having others with and around you during the abortion process.
- Time period includes 3-4 hours at Choices including registration, lab work, sonogram, counseling, and meeting with a provider, and 48 hours at home.
- Extreme pain, cramping and bleeding and, sometimes, nausea, diarrhea or chills.
- Heavy bleeding and cramping during the passing of the pregnancy.
- Only 91-95% effective, may require repeat medical abortion or surgical abortion.
Your Choices doctor and licensed clinical social worker can give you information to help you decide which kind of abortion is best for you.