Medical Abortion, also called the “abortion pill” or RU 486, is a non-surgical early abortion option (up to 10 weeks of pregnancy). If you qualify, you can get a no cost medical abortion at Choices.
If you are less than 10 weeks, you can usually get a medical abortion. If you are more than 10 weeks since the first day of your last period, you can have an in-clinic surgical abortion to end your pregnancy.
The medical abortion process has two steps and includes two different medicines.
First, at Choices you take a pill called mifepristone which stops the pregnancy from growing. Second, at your home, 24 to 48 hours after taking the first pill. you take another set of 4 pills called misoprostol.
The second pill empties the uterus, and you will experience cramping and heavy bleeding. The pills can also cause pain, and sometimes, nausea, diarrhea or chills. After the pregnancy tissue is expelled, the bleeding and pain become much less. The abortion-by-pill has a success rate of 91-95%. You must come back to Choices no later than 2 weeks after your procedure for your post abortion checkup and sonogram to make sure that your abortion has been successful and your uterus is empty. If your abortion fails, you may need to repeat the process or have an in-clinic surgical abortion.
Medical Abortion Care at Choices is:
- Safe – Our doctors are very experienced, and many are female. They use the best and safest abortion methods available, and the Medical Center has won high ratings for safety and care.
- Private – Your abortion care, your concerns and all your personal information will be kept completely private.
- Available when you need it – There are no waiting periods, age restrictions or permission needed from parents or partners.
- Affordable –Choices offers free abortion pregnancy testing and financial help is available where you may qualify for a no cost medical abortion. You can apply for Emergency Medicaid in our office for an abortion that day. All insurances are accepted, and reasonable self-pay plans are available. We work with Abortion Funding Sources to make sure no one will be turned away. Call us for more information.
- Your Choice – Your questions and needs are our priority. Licensed clinical social workers will meet with you to discuss all your concerns.
Have questions? Read our Frequently Asked Questions or chat with one of our representatives.
Round Trip Car Service to Choices
Car Service Update!
At Choices, we understand the different barriers women face when trying to access medical care. Transportation does not have to be one of them!
In addition to providing Metro Cards to eligible patients, most patients with Affinity, Americhoice, Amerigroup, Archacare, Cigna, Diamond Care, Elderplan, Emblem Health, Empire BCBS, Fidelis Care, Healthcare Partners, HealthPlus, HealthFirst, Horizon Healthcare, Integra, MagnaCare, Medicaid, Montefiore MetroPlus, Oxford, Partners Health, Senior While Health MOTC, United Healthcare, United MOTC, UMR, and Wellcare coverage can receive FREE Round-Trip Car Service from their home on the day of their appointment at no additional charge.
Contact 718-786-5000 and ask to speak to a Financial Counselor to schedule your car service today.