Medical Abortion, also called the “abortion pill” or RU 486, is a non-surgical early abortion option (up to 10 weeks of pregnancy) with a 97% success rate.
The abortion pill induces a natural miscarriage without surgery in the privacy of your own home.
After a sonogram to confirm that it is early enough in the pregnancy, you will then meet with a Choices medical professional who will give you the first pill, along with detailed instructions on the next step. You will also be given a 24/7 telephone number to a Choices “on call” nurse you can call if you have any problems, concerns or questions after you leave Choices. Several days later at home, you will take another set of pills.
The abortion pill works differently on every woman, but some of things you may feel are: cramps, similar to a heavy menstrual period; headache; nausea; vomiting; diarrhea; heavy bleeding.
Medical abortion can take anywhere from 3 days to 4 weeks to complete, and a follow-up visit to Choices is required to make certain that the procedure has been successful. Sometimes a medical abortion fails, and about one in 20 women who request a medical abortion will later need a surgical procedure. Your Choices counselor will go over all the details and help you decide if this procedure is right for you.
Abortion Care at Choices is:
- Safe – Our doctors are very experienced, and many are female. They use the best and safest abortion methods available, and the Medical Center has won high ratings for safety and care.
- Private – Your abortion care, your concerns and all your personal information will be kept completely private.
- Available when you need it – There are no waiting periods, age restrictions or permission needed from parents or partners.
- Affordable –Choices offers free medical abortion pregnancy testing and financial help is available where you may qualify for a no cost medical abortion. You can apply for Emergency Medicaid in our office for an abortion that day. Most insurances are accepted, and reasonable self-pay plans are available. We work with Abortion Funding Sources to make sure no one will be turned away. Call us for more information.
- Your Choice – Your questions and needs are our priority. Licensed clinical social workers will meet with you to discuss all your concerns.
Have questions? Read our Frequently Asked Questions or chat with one of our representatives.
Round Trip Car Service to Choices
Car Service Update!
At Choices, we understand the different barriers women face when trying to access medical care. Transportation does not have to be one of them!
In addition to providing Metro Cards to eligible patients, most patients with Affinity, Americhoice, Amerigroup, Archacare, Cigna, Diamond Care, Elderplan, Emblem Health, Empire BCBS, Fidelis Care, Healthcare Partners, HealthPlus, HealthFirst, Horizon Healthcare, Integra, MagnaCare, Medicaid, Montefiore MetroPlus, Oxford, Partners Health, Senior While Health MOTC, United Healthcare, United MOTC, UMR, and Wellcare coverage can receive FREE Round-Trip Car Service from their home on the day of their appointment at no additional charge.
Contact 718-786-5000 and ask to speak to a Financial Counselor to schedule your car service today.